Ashbury College | Ottawa, Ontario
Client: The Board of Governors of Ashbury College
Over the past 15 years MCROBIE Architects + Interior Designers has contributed to several major expansions at Ottawa’s distinguished Ashbury College. Established in 1891, Ashbury College is a leading independent school for boys and girls, grades four to twelve, and has been located in the former village of Rockcliffe Park for over 100 years.
In 2004 MCROBIE Architects + Interior Designers carried out a 45,000 square foot expansion that included a dining hall for five hundred, two gyms, four classrooms and a staff lounge, as well as renovations to the reception and administrative offices.
The two-storey brick Boy’s Residence, completed in 2009, recalls themes of traditional college architecture to provide a home for 50 students, two housemasters, their families and two resident dons at a prominent corner of Ashbury’s parkland campus. The field house, also completed at this time, is a harmonious addition to the campus that does not belie its utilitarian function as a sports and maintenance equipment storage facility.
In our most recent collaboration with the college we have designed a three-storey, 18,500 square foot building to house expanded library, music and arts facilities. The new building is positioned in a formerly underused courtyard at the heart of the school, bound on three sides by classroom wings of various ages. Construction was completed in time for the 2014 academic year.
Related blog entry: